Jena Malone was born Nov. 21, 1984, in Sparks, Nev. , and raised by her mother Deborah and her mom's girlfriend, whom Jena called "Godmom." She has a half-sister, Madison Mae Malone, who was born in 1997.
At age 14, working actress Jena filed for emancipation in court under California's Coogan Law , charging that her mother had mismanaged Jena's earnings, failed to pay taxes and had drained her college fund. In January of 2000, she was legally emancipated from her mother, giving Jena direct control over her career and her own finances.
Jena secured a place on the indie film scene with the cult favorite Donnie Darko(2001). In 2012, Jena landed the role of fan-favorite Johanna Mason in the Hunger Games sequels The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2.
On Filming Sucker Punch Edit
"I had to learn everything from [handling] swords to guns to burlesque dancing. In a lot of ways it felt like being in an asylum. You come in and you're given vitamins, you have very specific breaks, your whole day is scheduled. And then you're just getting the s**t kicked out of you. I remember the first day I was just crying; my whole body was red."
- Bastard Out of Carolina (1996)
- Contact (1997)
- Cheaters (2000)
- Donnie Darko (2001)
- Life as a House (2001)
- The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (2002)
- Cold Mountain (2003)
- Saved! (2004)
- Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
- Pride & Prejudice (2005)
- The Go-Getter (2007)
- Into the Wild (2007)
- The Ruins (2008)
- The Messenger (2009)
- Sucker Punch (2011)
- Hatfields & McCoys (2012)
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
- Lonely Hunter (2013)
- Extensive training for Sucker Punch enabled Jena to dead-lift 235 pounds.
- Jena made her Broadway debut in 2006 in the play Doubt . She appeared in an Off-Broadway revival of Eugene O'Neill 's Mourning Becomes Electra in 2009.
- She co-produced 2002's Confessions of an American Girl and the straight-to-DVD horror flick Corn, as well as starring in both.
- She released her first single in 2007, and sometimes performs as The Shoe.
- Jena portrayed the title character in Dakota, a three-part series on the YouTube channel "Wigs."
- 1997 Young Artist Award, Best Performance in a TV Movie/Miniseries - Young Actress (Bastard Out of Carolina)
- 1998 Saturn Award Best Performance by a Younger Actor/Actress (Contact)
- 1998 Young Artist Award, Best Performance in a TV Movie/Pilot/Miniseries - Young Actress (Ellen Foster)
- 1999 Young Artist Award, Best Performance in a Feature Film - Leading Young Actress (Stepmom)
- 1999 YoungStar Award, Best Performance by a Young Actress in a Drama Film (Stepmom)
- Jena was home-schooled from sixth through eighth grades, and then attended ninth grade at New York's prestigious Professional Children's School (for working child actors), only to quit at the end of the term.
- Jena has said that by age 9, she and her mother had lived in 27 different locations.
- At the age of 12, Jena was the youngest person to be nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award for 1996's Bastard Out of Carolina . The record was broken in 2001 by 7-year-old Dakota Fanning .
- Jena has been studying photography since 2003.
- ↑ Total Film, January 2011